Grade 6 Transition
Grade 6 Transition
Grade 6 to Year 7 Transition
All parents of students in both Year 5 and Year 6 are advised to attend all information sessions for their local government secondary schools. This process will assist the final selection of placement. Final placement into a government school is in accordance with the guidelines of each individual college and Department guidelines. Parents who are planning to send their children to private schools need to follow the process specific to that school.
Timeline for Government Schools 2013
17th April – Parent Letter, secondary education information, and Application for Enrolment form distributed
to parents of Year 6 students
17th May – Return completed Application for Enrolment forms to Montrose Primary School
19th August – Written confirmation regarding secondary school placement sent to parents
10th December – Orientation Day: Year 6 students attend their chosen government secondary college
Local Secondary Colleges
- Yarra Hills Secondary College: http://web.pembrokesc.vic.edu.au/pscweb/
- Mooroolbark College: http://www.mooroolbarkcollege.vic.edu.au/
- Lilydale High School: http://www.lilydale.hs.vic.edu.au/
- Lilydale Heights College: http://www.lilydaleheights.vic.edu.au/
- Ringwood Secondary College: http://www.ringwoodsc.vic.edu.au/
Local Private Colleges
- Mount Evelyn Christian School: http://www.mecs.vic.edu.au
- Billanook College: http://www.billanook.vic.edu.au/v2/index.html
Choosing A School Checklist
- Visit school websites
- Attend school open days
- Make an appointment with the school for a personal tour
- Think about how your child will travel to and from school
- Find out what the subject choices are. Does the school specialise in any area?
- Are there extension programs to fit your child's needs, interests or talents?
- Look at the school's latest annual report and newsletters
- What languages are taught?
- Is there a buddy program teaming older students with younger students?
- What extracurricular activities are there? Music, sport etc.
- What opportunities are there for parent involvement?
Click Here for helpful information on the transition from primary school to secondary school.